Cairns is a city in the tropical north of Queensland, with about 140,000 inhabitants. By speedboat you can reach the Great Barrier Reef – a diver and snorkelling paradise – in one and a half hours. The many islands such as Green or Fitzroy Island are popular destinations in the crystal clear sea.
Although Cairns is located on the sea, the city has no direct beach access. But a few kilometers further north you will find some of the most beautiful beaches in Queensland such as Trinity Beach.
With the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Forest (a rainforest), Cairns has two natural wonders on the doorstep.
The relaxed pace of life makes Cairns one of the most popular vacation spots in Australia with over 600 options for day trips.
If you want to surf, however, it is out of place here, because the waves are refracted by the Great Barrier Reef. Anyone who wants to learn to surf, the best place is on the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast.
Other “highlights” in the area of Cairns are:
- The Atherton Tablelands in the west for those who prefer it a bit cooler.
- Mossman Gorge with waterfalls and crystal clear pools.
- The Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
- The Skyrail, a 7.5 km long cable car to Kuranda .
- Who likes to go fishing will be happy. Hiking in the rain forest is great fun, adventurous tours in the outback bush are offered as well as visits to crocodile farms. So there is something for everyone.